Sugar apple is the fruit of the sugar apple or Annona squamosa tree, which is one of the most commonly produced species of Annona. It is native to the exotic Americas and West Indies, but its exact origin continues to be unidentified. Additionally referred to as anon or sweetsop, the sugar apple is thought to be “a fruit of the gods” due to its pleasant, scrumptious and creamy taste.
The preference of this fruit is usually called a cross in between a pear and a coconut. When it is totally ripe it does not need a blade to be opened, you ought to simply easily pull apart and enjoy. The pulp could also be passed through a sieve to make milkshake or smoothies, smoothie mixes, sherbet and also ice cream. This incredible fruit is not just tasty to eat, but it is likewise incredibly healthy. It is a fantastic source of crucial nutrients such as healthy protein, minerals, vitamins as well as essential fiber.
In India, sweetsop is known as Sita fruit as it has too many seeds and is related to a Hindu goddess. In Thailand, it is known as noi-na as it looks like a hand-grenade. In China, it is Buddha’s head fruit.Sugar Apple or Sweetsop at a Glance
- Scientific name: Annona Squamosa
- Latin Name: Annona reticulate
- Family: Annonaceae family
- Origin: Believed to be originating from the West Indies
- Another name: sweetsop, custard apple, bullock’s heart
- Varieties: There are ten different varieties with different size and shape but similar in flavor
- Tree: Height vary between 6.5ft - 20ft (3-6m)
- Fruit: Diameter about 2.5 inch- 4.0 inch (6-10cm) Weight 3.5oz - 5.3oz (100-150gm)
- Season: All year round
- Propagation: Budding, seeds or grafting
- Uses: Fruit is eaten as fresh and to make beverages. Leaves, seeds, tree bark and tree roots for Ayurveda Medicinal purposes
Nutritional Worth of Raw Sugar Apple (1 cup, pulp (250 g))
- Dietary fiber – 11 g/44%
- Vitamin C – 90.8 mg/ 151%
- Iron – 1.50 mg/ 8%
- Niacin – 2.208 mg/ 11%
- Riboflavin – 0.282 mg/ 17%
- Thiamin – 0.275 mg/ 18%
- Vitamin B6 – 0.500mg/ 25%
- Copper – 0.215 mg/ 11%
- Magnesium – 52.50 mg/ 13%
- Potassium – 617.50 mg/ 13%
- Folate – 35.00 mcg/ 9%
Here are health and wellness advantages of sugar apples:
1. Sugar Levels Control 🍂
The every day worth established by the U.S. Fda is about 25 grams for adult ladies as well as 38 for guys. Nutritional fiber has actually been revealed to reduce the absorption of sugar in the body and also a high fiber diet plan has been related to a lower danger of developing type-2 diabetes mellitus. Just 2 sugar apples can give over half of the DV of fiber, so start eating the even more often.
2. Heart Health 🍂
The vitamin B6 has been located to prevent homocysteine accumulation, the high amount of which in the blood is related to a higher threat of coronary heart illness as well as stroke, and sugar apples are a great source of this vitamin.
3. Maintain Supply of Various other B Vitamins in The Body 🍂
Sugar apples consist of an excellent amount of riboflavin, one of the duties of which is to make sure that the body has actually all various other required B vitamins. These vitamins are necessary for growth, growth as well as various other major bodily functions.
4. Help Reduced High blood pressure Levels 🍂
Potassium is a mineral understood to control blood stress degrees by controlling the impacts of salt in the body and sugar-apples are a good source of it.
5. Asthma Prevention 🍂
Sugar apples are a great source of vitamins C and also B6 and of the minerals magnesium and potassium. Vitamin C is taken into consideration a potent anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory agent that could aid lower the threat of developing asthma and also vitamin B6 is discovered to avoid the inflammation of the bronchial tube. Magnesium and also potassium are additionally really beneficial for prevention or therapy of bronchial asthma. Magnesium helps relax the bronchial tubes and also smooth esophagus muscle mass, but asthmatics usually have low levels of it.
6. Maintain Thyroid Health 🍂
Copper is a trace mineral that is deemed essential for the manufacturing of the thyroid hormone called thyroxine, which is accountable for the health and wellness of the thyroid gland. Sugar apples have a great quantity of this mineral.
7. Help The Body Produce Energy 🍂
Thiamin is a nutrient that helps sugar transform into energy. So, whenever you really feel a bit weary, take a sugar apple, which is an excellent resource of thiamin.
8. Pregnancy Problems 🍂
In pregnancy, low folate level can result in premature babies and birth defects. It can also result in spinal cord defects or brain defects. Sugar apple has the good amount of folate, one of the B vitamins.
Sugar apple is also rich in copper, which is required to form hemoglobin in the body, essential for pregnant women.
9. Hair Tonic and Hair Lice 🍂
In India, sugar apple is used as the hair tonic and its seeds are grounded and used as the tonic to rid of hair lice. Be careful when you do this as the tonic if gets in the eye can cause blindness. It can also be used against the agricultural pest. Use it immediately as its effectiveness will not last long if kept for more than a few days.
10. Ulcers 🍂
If you have ulcers, take the sweetsop's leaves then wash and milled into the powder. Add a bit of water and salt. Put this paste over your ulcer and bandage it properly. Change daily and do this it for about 2-3 days.
11. Cats and Dogs Flea 🍂
Crushed the seed and/or leaves of sweetsop or sugar apple and boil for about 5 minutes. Then strain the water and once it cools down, use it to bathe the cat or dog.
12. Intestinal Worms 🍂
If your children have intestinal worms, you may try this natural remedy. Wash and boil about 15 pieces of sweetsop leaves with 5 cups water. Continue boiling until you get about half of the original quantity i.e. about 3 cups. Strain the mixture and once cool drink three times daily. This will also work in adults suffering from intestinal worms.
Note: It is not recommended for pregnant women to drink this boiled sweetsop drink mixture.
13. As Insecticide 🍂
Extract of sugar apple dried leaves can act as the insecticide for the prevention of mosquito breeding. In a similar manner, if you lay the leaves of sugar apple tree on your chicken coop floor, this will prevent any insect or lice to breed.
14. As Smelling Salt 🍂
The crushed leaves can act in a similar way as smelling salt and is useful for someone who is having the fainting spell.
15. For Prayers 🍂
The Chinese use sugar apple as one of their offerings on shrines and altars. This usually happens during the festival like Chinese New Year.
🍂 Ways to Enjoy Sugar Apple Fruits 🍂
- Besides eating the fruit fresh, try the following ideas and enjoy its health benefits as well.
- Mix it with your breakfast cereal. For additional variety, try adding nuts and shredded coconut to the mixture.
- Cut into small chunk then with a toothpick dip into melted chocolate. Once thoroughly coated put them in the freezer for the chocolate to harden. Then serve.
- As filling to crepes by mixing one sugar apple pulp with 1/2 cup sugar, 2 large lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence. This is thoroughly mixed and cook over fire until you get a nice firm paste for the filling. As an option, you can add two tablespoons of brandy.
+Spiritual Yogi Guide